Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The blind leading the blind

Or at least that's how I have been feeling the past week when my husband announced he was going to start his own journey of GAINING weight. He would like to gain about 30-40 pounds and while I am proud and supportive of him for his desire to build mass, (Homeboy can eat a whole pizza and not gain a pound. Seriously, I've seen it happen!) my thoughts automatically turn to Now how is THIS going to work? One trying to lose, one now trying to gain and a 5 year old who's hungry 24/7! I was honestly dreading my next trip to the grocery store. Rightfully so because that trip turned into 2 hours of me wondering aimlessly up and down aisles looking for healthy alternatives that would satisfy all our needs. Like I said, the blind leading the blind.

It was my husband's proclamation that led me to start researching how I should approach this dilemma and all that I have learned I will share in a future post for anyone interested but for right now the short version is that I've discovered how to actually "read" ingredients and learned that 90% of what is sold in grocery stores is far from the all natural foods we should be consuming. We are now in the process of transitioning from a highly processed food diet to as close to all natural as we can get. Our cabinets are on the verge of looking like a health food store.

On a different note, I'm down 4 pounds since my last post a week and a half ago! That brings my total to 15 pounds lost. I'm even able to get in these pants!


I bought these 2 months ago and at the time couldn't even force myself in them without sporting a SERIOUS muffin top. But I bought them anyway with high hopes of being able to fit in them comfortably once I began my weight loss journey. Guys don't hate. It's a woman thing to buy clothes you can't fit in right? Right? RIGHT???!!!

As promised in my last post, allow me to now fill you in on that mess I'm afraid I've gotten myself into. Let me first say that I don't think it's as much a mess as a fear that my husband's competitive nature will desert me in sinking sand or something wildly and imaginatively close to it! (Gary if you're reading this, I LOVE YOU! Really I do.)

Several weeks ago, a good friend told me she signed up to do one of those miles long obstacle race courses. After quizzing her about it, it peaked my interest because it sounded like the perfect challenge to test my physical and mental grit and prepare me for the ultimate challenge in climbing Kilimanjaro. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you to the Tough Mudder.


If you aren't already aware of what the Tough Mudder is, it is a 10-12 mile obstacle course that ranges from swimming through ice water to crawling through electric live wires with a little bit of fire walking and mud slinging in between. It's not until late October so I have some time to prepare and it's definitely going to take as much training as possible. My husband has even signed up but, as hinted at before, that sparks a bit of concern because the Tough Mudder promotes teamwork. I'm not saying my hubs isn't a team player by any means  but he IS extremely competitive. I can totally see myself needing a helping hand climbing over the 12 foot walls just to have hubs too focused on trying to beat the guy in front of him to notice! I kid I kid...I'm sure he would at least help me over the walls. It's the other 19 obstacles and 10 miles I'm worried about. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment